SJ Thema focuses on general and commercial litigation, administrative and constitutional law, medical aid, insurance law, and sports and entertainment law.
He is a member of the Black Lawyers Association and the Black Management Forum. SJ has served two terms on the Audit Committee of Statistics South Africa; he also serves on the boards of a number of private companies, and as an alternate employer representative of the firm's pension fund.
- Defending a claim in excess of ZAR187m on behalf of a large bank through the SCA up to the Constitutional Court.
- Acting for a state-owned company in a contractual dispute to the value of about ZAR29m.
- Acting for a successful bidder in opposing review proceedings of a tender for a municipality in Limpopo, worth about ZAR223m, ending in the Constitutional Court.
- Acting for a state-owned company in review proceedings involving a ZAR200m advertising tender, involving several former service providers.
- Defending matters on behalf of Attorneys Indemnity Insurance Fund resulting from attorneys' professional negligence.
- Acting for SASRIA in a ZAR40m claim.
- Acting for one of the largest medical aids in a ZAR50m contractual dispute against its former service provider.
- Lead director on projects involving two medical schemes under curatorship, advising the curator, reviewing agreements, instituting legal action (where necessary), etc.