Areas Of Practice:
Banking, Broadcasting, Business Law, Competition Law, Constitutional, High Court Practice, Litigation (Commercial), Litigation (Constitutional), Litigation (Corporate), Litigation (High Court), Media
Mohamed specialises in commercial litigation and has a particular interest in judicial reviews, administrative law, competition law, litigation and medical schemes law. He has been involved in many high-profile litigation matters representing large corporations, banks and the Competition Commission. He is well respected both locally and globally for his contribution to the advancement of the legal profession and the Rule of Law. In 2009 he was appointed for a two year term as President of the Commonwealth Lawyers’ Association (CLA) which represents lawyers’ associations in 53 countries – the first South African to achieve this.
Some of Mohamed’s achievements and experience include:
- Past President of the CLA.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the CLA.
- Endorsed as a recommended lawyer in dispute resolution by PLC Which Lawyer.
- Endorsed as a recommended lawyer by Best Lawyers.
- Past Chairperson of the Attorneys Insurance Indemnity Fund.
- Past board member of the Attorneys Fidelity Fund.
- Non-Executive director of ABSA Bank Limited and ABSA Group Limited.
- Chairperson of JSE-listed Andulela Investment Holdings Limited.
- Past President of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces.
- Council member of the Law Society of South Africa.
- Was appointed as an acting judge of the High Court (Witwatersrand Local Division) (1999).
- Advisor to the Constitutional Assembly in respect of the drafting of the final South African Constitution.
- Past President and Vice-President of the National Association of Democratic Lawyers.
- Former head of Constitutional and Administrative Law Department and partner at Edward Nathan & Friedland Inc.
- Appointed as Provincial Electoral Officer responsible for conducting SA’s first democratic elections in 1994 in the Greater Johannesburg Region.
- Awarded Abe Bailey Scholarship.
- Trustee of the Wits Law School Endowment Trust.
- Member of Eskom’s Board Tender Committee.
- Has presented papers on a diverse range of legal topics locally and in Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya, Nigeria, England, Scotland, Hong Kong, Australia and Mauritius.
- Has been interviewed on a diverse range of legal and Rule of Law topics in the local and international media.